Skip Navigation

Lawyer for Wrongful Death and Fatal Accidents in Medicine Hat

If you are the spouse, adult interdependent partner, child, parent, brother, or sister of a person that was the victim of a wrongful death or fatal accident, you may be entitled to a fair amount of compensation. While close members of the family will surely feel the overwhelming loss of a loved one, there are laws that exist to compensate the victim’s family members.

Who Is Entitled to Compensation?

The law concerning the death of a close family member is found under the Fatal Accidents Act (Alberta). This law allows the following family members to receive compensation:


  • A spouse

  • An adult interdependent partner

  • A parent

  • A child or children

  • Brothers and sisters

How Much Is the Compensation?

Compensation for a wrongful death in Alberta is higher than any other province. Compensation for the wrongful death of a loved one includes:


  • Expenses for the care, travel, and accommodation incurred between injury and death.

  • Expenses for the funeral and disposal of the body.

  • Fees paid for grief counselling.

  • Bereavement of the spouse, adult interdependent partner, parents, and children.

Compensation for bereavement is only provided to the spouse, adult interdependent partner, and parents. The amount for bereavement alone is *$82,000. This amount would be divided equally if both parents are still alive and claiming compensation. Only a spouse or adult interdependent partner may make this claim, not both. And if the spouse or partner was living separate and apart from the deceased person, then that person may lose their entitlement.

Each child of the deceased person is also entitled to $49,000. For example, a person that leaves a wife, three children, and one parent, the amounts would be $82,000 to the wife, $147,000 to the children, and $82,000 to the surviving parent, for a total amount of $311,000. These amounts are intended to compensate family members for the grief and loss of the guidance, care, and companionship.


In addition to the above noted, one may also recover dependency damages. This is done on a case-by-case basis. If the deceased person’s family members relied on his or her income, then a calculation and determination is made for compensation. The compensation amount will depend on the deceased person’s income, the deceased person’s future income, the age of the dependents, etc. To get an estimate of dependency damages you may be entitled to, please contact our wrongful death lawyer.


*The amounts of $82,000 and $49,000 are adjusted every five years, the next adjustment will be in 2022.

mobile icon

Lawyers for Spinal Cord Injury

If you’re looking for sound legal advice that will help you claim compensation for spinal cord injuries, our lawyers can help you.

Know More

6-3151 Dunmore Rd Se

Medicine Hat, AB T1B 2H2




Monday - Friday 08:30 AM - 04:00 PM

(Closed from 12 PM – 1 PM)

Saturday – Sunday: Closed

Service Area

Medicine Hat





Send to a friend

Send the url of this page to a friend of yours

Created by

Legal notice